Thursday, January 17, 2013

Sweet Potato Chips / Dehydrated Sweet Potatoes

So as some people know my dog Khione has an allergy to wheat, and its hard to find goodies for her to have. She on the other hand, loves sweet potatoes, so I decided to try something new. These are not just for dogs, but for people too! Basically its Sweet Potato Chips.

So the first things you need to do is get a bunch of sweet potatoes. Wash them as you would any potato before cooking it. You can choose to peal them if you prefer that, but I did not.

Slice the sweet potatoes the same width. So all are the same thickness so they cook evenly. I used a mandolin (you can use a knife or slicer or what ever is easier for you, or what you have available).

You will need to steam or blanch the sweet potatoes. I choose to steam them. If you steam them you only need to steam them for about 4-6 mins, and probably blanch them about the same time.

You will let them cool and preheat your oven to 175*F. I just used cookie sheets, but lined them not over lapping on the cookie sheet, and got 3 sheets at a time to fit in my oven.

Bake them for about 3 hours at 175*F. You will want to check them to make sure they get to how done you would like them.  I went for crispy.

They are really good! I did not season them at all because of Khione eating them as well.

I hope you get a chance to try these if you're adventurous or a fan of sweet potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment