Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Spinach Stuffed Shells

Spinach Stuffed Shells

I LOVE Pasta! Not that I eat it much anymore, but its a treat to make it every now and then. If I had to choose a kind... anything stuffed with cheese! Ravioli, tortellini, manicotti, stuffed shells.... oh they are a favorite!

I swear this is easy! The first time I made it, I thought it was going to be hard, but it's not! I swear!

There are 3 parts to this recipe. The noodles, the filling and the sauce. Of course you can do a jar of sauce or your own deal, It depends on my mood as to if I'm making a quick one or just using a pre-made jar, but below I'll give you a quick and easy recipe for a sauce, but it varies every time. Its all a matter of tasting it as you go.




Part 1 - The Noodles
1 box jumbo shell macaroni noodles.

So the deal is no to over cook these. To cook them with a little crunch still. Then to drain them and let them cool some before filling.

Part 2 - The Filling
Ingredients:
10 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained.
1 c ricotta cheese
8 oz Feta Cheese crumbled. (will need some for the top)
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Combine all the ingredients above, and fill each shell with about 2 tablespoons of filling. Place in a shallow baking dish and cover with marinara sauce (about 1-1/2 c).

Part 3 - The Sauce - if you choose to make your own.
Ingredients:
15 oz can of Tomato sauce
2 - 6 oz cans of Tomato paste
2-3 Tbsp of sugar
2 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
1 tsp granulated garlic (or garlic powder)
salt and pepper to taste if you feel its necessary, I usually don't use it.

This is the sauce I like to make, it always varies depending on the taste I'm feeling that day. The sugar you will want to cut the acidity of the tomatoes. Its trial and error, but don't go over board until you put a little bit in at a time.


The Final touch
Pour sauce over the noodles, and top with Feta Cheese (or Parmesan cheese).

So after you've assembled everything, it's time to bake!
350*F for about 20 mins.


No comments:

Post a Comment