Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Sauteed Brussel Sprouts

Brussel Sprouts go so unloved as a vegetable. You either love them or you hate them... I've found few people that would choose brussel sprouts over any other veggie... I'm not sure where my parents went "right" with me, seeing that I don't think my sister would ever consider trying them .... EVER.

Top 5 favorite veggies - 1. Brussel sprouts, 2. Peas, 3. Cauliflower, 4. Broccoli, 5. Asparagus ...
Seeing that Onions, Sweet Potatoes and Beets are not really veggies but more of roots.... they are up there in a favorite too. Other favorite foods most people would think I'm weird... so maybe some other time we will talk about my favorite foods that most people hate...

But I digress.... Did you know if you google "most hated foods" or "most hated veggies" ... Brussel Sprouts come up as number 1 on both lists. So let me suggest to you, give it a shot and try something new.

Safeway in Sidney started carrying fresh brussel spouts or maybe I just noticed they had them but either way, it makes me think of home... aka the West Side Market in Cleveland, Ohio where one Brussel spout is probably the size about 4 of these small ones at Safeway, but still they have them and it makes me so excited! So I'm going to share with a new favorite way to enjoy these... Sauteed Brussel Sprouts.



Sauteed Brussel Sprouts

Ingredients:
1 medium sweet onion
2 lbs fresh brussel sprouts
3 Tbsp Butter
1 Tbsp Sherry Wine Vinegar
Salt and Pepper


Directions:
1. Slice onion (into wedges) and cut brussel sprouts in half (and trim off ends and take off outer leaf if necessary)
2. Saute onion over med-high until half carmelized in 2 Tbsp of butter.  Salt and Pepper to taste.

3. When Onions are half carmelized toss in brussel sprouts. Add 1 Tbsp of butter and salt and pepper if necessary.
4. Cook until onions are nearly carmelized and brussel sprouts are getting a brown on them. Toss in the Sherry Wine Vinegar and cook until brussel sprouts are tender.

That's it. Short sweet and easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment