Sunday, December 16, 2012

Easy as Pie... Pie Crust

So for this week, and since I'm back to blogging... I've decided to make a special week of Holiday treats! With the holidays upon us,  you probably have a gathering or 2 you'll be attending, why not take something different. Today's pie crust is inspired for Christmas dinner desert! 

So it was just before Thanksgiving and it had been a while since making a pie, at least 4 years so I didn't remember what pie crush I used before, so I as in search of a new one. This one I found on Pinterest and it is easy and makes 4 crusts that can be refridgerated and frozen... PERFECT! Especially since I only planed on making 2 pies.

So on to the easy pie crust!


Ingredients:
4 cups Flour
1 Tbsp Sugar
1 Tbsp Salt
1-3/4 c Vegetable shorting (I used butterd crisco sticks)

1 Tbsp vinegar
1 egg
1/2 c water


Directions:
1. Mix flour, sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Cut in shorting with a fork or pastry blender. If you have a food processor you can use it as well by just pulsing it, I did it by hand with a pastry blender.

2. In a separate bowl, mix vinegar, water and egg. Add to flour mixture stiring in with a fork until moistened.









3. Divide into 4 even balls molded by hand.

4. These can now be wrapped in plastic or in a freezer bag.

To continue to the baking when you need a baked crust see below, otherwise use it with recipes that call for refrigerated pie dough. 





On to the BAKING!
1. Get the pie pan that you will use out and ready to go.
2. These are perfect for about a 9" to 10" pie pan without being too thin.
3. If you're pulling this out of the fridge let it come near room temp so it doesn't crack entirely when rolling out.

So roll out the dough with a rolling pin, or if you don't have a rolling pin a glass on its side I've used before. 


I found that squishing, yes a technical baking term, with my hands out to about the size I needed then using the rolling pin to get it thinner works best for me.


Make sure the pan you'll be using fits and have an over hand of about an inch to 1-1/2 inches.







You'll end up with something like this








 Pinch around the top to give it a fancy feel to it.










 If you are baking it first I recommend poking holes with a fork so it does not bubble up on you.

This crust can be baked "filled" with beans or pie weights or "blind" without any weight in it, which is why I was drawn to this recipe.


Bake at 375*F for about 10 mins. It will have a toasted look to it (as least in my oven at about 10 mins...


Now you have an awesome and easy pie crust to try.











No comments:

Post a Comment