Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Roasting Red Peppers

I grew up not being a pepper fan, to find out its really Green peppers and hot peppers I'm not a fan of. I've learned I really do enjoy roasted red peppers, so i took a shot at making my own, and they are awesome!


Ingredients:
4 - Red Bell Peppers
3 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Peppercorns
3 cloves garlic (crushed)

 Directions:
1. Grill peppers til charred on all sides. You can see this in the picture on the grill that the back left pepper is starting to do this. It takes time so be patient. I think the more charred the better, it helps the skin come off easier later.

2. Remove peppers from heat and seal in a paper bag (or plastic bag if no paper bag) for an hour.

3. After the peppers have cooled, you are going to remove the skin, seeds and stem on each to leave just the pepper flesh. The more charred, the easier the skin will come off. You can just gently use the knife to just slide the skin off.

4. Slice the pepper into strips or how ever big of pieces you would like.

5. Place peppers in a sanitized jar with Olive Oil, peppercorns and garlic.

And you now have your own home made roasted red peppers. Below is about 2/3 a jar that the four peppers I did made. Now I just need to learn the art of canning.


No comments:

Post a Comment