Saturday, August 25, 2012

Broccoli & Cauliflower Salad - Top Favorite

I know it's been a while since I've posted a recipe, so we are going to start with definitely a favorite around our house. I have to thank the Food Network for one of my favorite shows, though I don't get to see it a lot, for this recipe, I've just tweaked it some. "Ten Dollar Meals" with Melissa d'Arabian, who I believe was a "Next Food Network Star" winner at some point. She has a lot of great things she has made, but this from the first time making it became a favorite. And you can tweak it to fit your family. 

Broccoli & Cauliflower Salad  - Curiosity of the Food Network

Ingredients
1/2 (to 1 medium) red onion, thinly sliced
6 slices bacon, cut in small pieces, cooked to crisp 
1 head cauliflower (medium about 4-5" across), cut into small florets
3 bunch broccoli, cut into small florets (about the same amount as cauliflower
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
3 teaspoon Dijon mustard
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon seafood seasoning, such as Old Bay
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper



Directions: 
1. Cook Bacon to a crisp. 
I personally bake the bacon at 350*F for about 25-30 mins on a cookie sheet but use my vegetable grill pan to keep the bacon from sitting in the bacon grease as it bakes. 
2. Dice red onion and let sit in an ice bath for min 10 mins, this will take off the 'edge' of the onion taste.
3. Cut of the broccoli and cauliflower into florets (just the tops). You want this to be about the same amount. 
4. To make the dressing its in 2 parts - 
Part 1 - mix the sugar, vinegar Dijon mustard and oil and mix til emulsified If you don't know what how to emulsify the best way I can explain it is how you see the oil and vinegar is separated, you are going to whisk the sugar, vinegar, Dijon mustard and oil together until it looks like one solid liquid.  
5. Part 2 of the dressing is take your emulsified part and mix in the mayo, old bay seasoning and salt and pepper to taste. I usually add about a teaspoon of each salt and pepper.
6. Chop the bacon up, drain the onions of water and toss with the broccoli and cauliflower then toss with the dressing until all is coated. 
7. Chill then serve. 

**Notes**
Don't feel like you are limited to the ingredients above. I've thought of adding cucumbers, tomatoes or corn (off the cob after grilling)...
We have eatten it just after I finished making it, but I personally think its better a little colder, but still good! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment